Unclenching Their Fists Webinar May 28th 2014
Title: Unclenching their Fists: Lessons Learned from Abusive Men on the Journey to Nonviolence
Date & Time: March 26th, 2014 at 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT (8:00 AM - 9:30 AM HT/ 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM AKDT/ 11:00 AM - 12:30 PM PST/ 12:00 PM - 1:30 PM MDT/ 1:00 PM - 2:30 PM CDT)
Description: This webinar will present two important publications related to men who have used violence in their relationships. The first part of the webinar will include background and highlights from the "Innovations in Batterer's Intervention Project" being released by Futures Without Violence this summer.
The second section, led by Sara Elinoff Acker, will present case studies of men who ended their abusive behavior towards their intimate partners and were accountable to those they hurt. These men come from diverse socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds; and all attended batterer intervention programs for a minimum of two years. These men represent the best possible outcome in our intervention efforts with abusers. This webinar will discuss common denominators of their journeys to nonviolence: addressing denial, the development of empathy, the importance of the group environment in fostering change and the different stages and significant turning points in the journey to nonviolence. This webinar is aimed at those who work with families affected by intimate partner abuse, including victim advocates, batterer intervention counselors, protective care social workers, probation officers and psychotherapists.
This webinar is presented by the Defending Childhood Initiative, in partnership with the Office on Juvenile Justice & Delinquency Prevention and Futures Without Violence.
- Name three distinct stages of change for abusive men.
- Understand the common pitfalls and roadblocks on the road to nonviolence, including backsliding into abusive behavior.
- Understand how detailed information about genuine progress toward nonviolence can be empowering for victims.
- Identify key program elements for effectively working with men who have used violenc. challenges associated with co-location programs and 3 strategies to overcome them.
- Casey Corcoran, Project Director, Children and Youth Programs - Futures Without Violence
- Sara Elinoff Acker, LICSW, Activist and Author
This webinar has taken place. You can review the materials from the webinar below.
Webinar Flyer : To view, click here.
Innovations in Batterer's Intervention slides : To view, click here.
Unclenching their Fists Slides: To view, click here.
Webinar Recording: To view, click here.
• Broadband Internet access – DSL, satellite, cable or other broadband server
• Color monitor
• Computer speakers/headphones or telephone to listen to audio. You may also listen to audio using your computer speakers or by using a phone to call the conference line.
• The latest Adobe® Flash® Player plugin for your browser. If you don't have the Flash plugin, you can get it here.
• Conduct a systems test: http://bwjp.ilinc.com/perl/ilinc/lms/systest.pl
Privacy and Confidentiality:
Futures Without Violence respects the privacy of all webinar participants. All personal information will remain confidential. We do not rent, sell or trade our mailing lists. Name, email and other information provided by a participant will be used appropriately to provide information on related activities including upcoming webinars and other events.
Questions? Please contact Alisha Benjamin.