May 1, 2014
Title: Improving existing, and creating new gendered violence prevention programs and policies on college campuses: An organizing approach
Date: Thursday, May 1, 2014
Time: 10:00am-11:30am PDT / 11:00am-12:30pm MDT / 12:00pm-1:30pm CDT / 1:00pm-2:30pm EDT
Description: In January 2014, President Obama announced the launch of a new task force to prevent sexual violence on college campuses. Citing that 1 in 5 women on college campuses have experienced some form of sevual violence during their academic careers, but only 12 percent of student victims report the assault. The President has called this epidemic "totally unacceptable."
Urging a fundamental shift in attitudes around sexual violence, the President's actions are timely considering the work of Futures Without Violence Campus Fellows across the country. Launched in the Fall of 2013, the Campus Leadership Program aimed to spur creative, student-led action to change university policy, enhance curriculum, raise awareness and shift campus culture.
In this interactive webinar, we will share what our Campus Fellows have accomplished this year within their diverse academic fields. Additionally, we will open the forum to students with experience or interest in this work, and brainstorm programatic, policy-oriented, curricular, institutional, legal, and subversive tactics to improve prevention and intervention programs on your college campus.
- Jane Pomeroy, MSW Candidate, School of Social Welfare, University of California, Berkeley
- Angela Catena, PhD Counselor in Education and Supervision with focus in Women's Studies, University of New Mexico
- Alishka Elliott, Doctor of Medicine, Saint Louis University
- Natalia Truszczynski, Master of Public Health, University of Kentucky
- Kate Jae Sun Sim, Studies of Women, Gender & Sexuality and Social Studies, Harvard College
- Broadband Internet access – DSL, satellite, cable or other broadband server
- Color monitor
- Computer speakers/headphones or telephone to listen to audio. You may also listen to audio using a phone to call the conference line number.
- The latest Adobe® Flash® Player plugin for your browser. If you don't have the Flash plugin, you can get it here.
- Conduct a systems test: http://futureswithoutviolence.adobeconnect.com/common/help/en/support/meeting_test.htm
Privacy and Confidentiality:
Futures Without Violence respects the privacy of all webinar participants. All personal information will remain confidential. We do not rent, sell or trade our mailing lists. Name, email and other information provided by a participant will be used appropriately to provide information on related activities including upcoming webinars and other events.
Questions? Please contact Jeanne-Mairie Duval, firstname.lastname@example.org