A Survivor’s Journey: Understanding the Health Impact of Abuse and Paths to Promote Wellness
Title: A Survivor’s Journey: Understanding the Health Impact of Abuse and Paths to Promote Wellness
Date Recorded: March 25, 2013
Description: This webinar will explore the health impact of abuse from the experience of one survivor of violence, and discover how she learned to become proactive in her healthcare. This webinar is targeted to domestic violence (DV) and sexual assault (SA) advocates and healthcare providers.
This webinar is presented by the National Health Resource Center on Domestic Violence with support from the Family Violence Prevention & Services Program, Family & Youth Services Bureau, Administration for Children and Families, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- The impact that psychological trauma can have on a survivor’s ability to actively care for her health and wellness.
- The role of advocates and other survivor-focused programs, such as free dental and reconstructive surgery programs, to help improve the healing and wellness of survivors of violence.
Olga Trujillo, JD, is an independent consultant, nationally renowned speaker, survivor, and attorney dedicated to enhancing understanding of – and building effective responses to – violence against women and children.
- National Health Resource Center on Domestic Violence
- Adverse Childhood Experiences Study (ACE)
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1−800−799−SAFE (7233); TTY 1−800−787−3224
- National Teen Dating Abuse Helpline: 1-866-331-9474; TTY 1-866-331-8453
- Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network (RAINN)
- National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-656-HOPE (4673)