Elder Abuse: Raising Awareness and Impact on Health
Title: Elder Abuse: Raising Awareness and Impact on Health
Date Recorded: Wednesday, May 20th, 2015
Description: Elder abuse is an increasing common problem. Elder abuse may include physical, sexual, or emotional abuse, as well as financial exploitation, neglect, abandonment, and self-neglect. Often the victim is in an ongoing relationship with the abuser such as an intimate partner, family member, or caregiver. This webinar aims to raise awareness about the issue of elder abuse and help participants recognize elder abuse and identify the most appropriate resources for referrals. The response to elder abuse requires a collaborative approach.
- Discuss the various categories of elder abuse and their prevalence.
- Review the current research on risk factors, screening, strategies for prevention, and most effective responses to elder abuse.
- Discuss the resources available for victims of elder abuse
- Xinqi Dong, MD, MPH, Geriatric Medicine Specialist, Rush University Medical Center
- Shelly Fox, Justice System Coordinator, National Clearinghouse on Abuse in Later Life (NCALL)
- Karen Roberto, PhD, Director, Center for Gerontology at Virginia Tech
- Mary Twomey, MSW, Project Manager, California Social Work Education Center, UC Berkeley