Supporting Organizational Sustainability – SOS Institute
The Supporting Organizational Sustainability to Address Violence Against Women Institute (SOS Institute) offers resources, technical assistance support, and an interactive, multi-day training to help U.S. Department of Justice Office on Violence Against Women grantees, partner organizations, and community-based organizations, enhance their programming organizational infrastructure and capacity.
Started in 2010, the SOS Institute has a national focus, targeting community-based organizations responding to all forms of violence against women, including domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, and stalking.
SOS Institute Goal
The overarching goal of the SOS Institute is to provide participants with core organizational competency through workshops, webinars, and tools that enhance their skills and improve their knowledge to maintain and sustain their organizations.
SOS Topic Areas on organizational development and capacity building include (but are not limited to):
- Mission, core values, and organizational culture
- Tools for strategic planning and short and long term planning, to better serve domestic violence and sexual assault victims
- Tools for board recruitment, development and engagement
- Staff leadership ability, professional growth, and wellness
- Communication, both internal and external
- Action planning for future organizational development
Two SOS Institutes and several webinars will be offered in the next two years.
The next SOS Institute, in person interactive training, will take place in the Spring of 2021.
- This resource includes tips and resources for survivor-service organizations to utilize during the health crisis.
For information, resources, or technical assistance support, please contact Futures Without Violence, Attention: Mónica Arenas, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Webinars and resources on organizational capacity building, organized by FUTURES:
- Strategies to Enhance Employee Resilience and Engagement within Survivor-Serving Organizations, May 14, 2020
- Strategies that survivor-centered organizations can utilize to attract and engage staff, mitigate burnout, and build strength and collective resilience. Staff Engagement Toolkit
- Core Values Within Domestic & Sexual Assault Organizations
- Support for your Organizational Infrastructure: What We Can Do For You
- Learn about resources and technical assistance support. Also, organizational practices and leadership styles that are key in maintaining and leading a healthy/successful organization.
- Workplace Policies and How they Support or Contradict Core Values
- Importance of having policies that reflect the organizational mission and values & key components of a policy on domestic violence and sexual assault in the workplace.
- Providing Support Through Organizational Transitions & Transition Curve Toolkit with Resources
- Strategies to manage and facilitate successful organizational transitions within a DV/SA organization, and tools and resources.
- Succession Planning within Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Organizations, Part 2 & Ten Actions/Resources
- Ten key actions for a departure defined (planned) succession plan & showcase of succession planning and boarding experience.
- Succession Planning Within Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Organizations
- Key elements of a succession plan, process to plan for leadership transition for the near and distant future & tools and resources.
- Compassion Fatigue & Self-Care for Individuals and Organizations
- Strategies to enhance health, healing, and stress reduction for individuals and organizations.
- Leading with Emotional Intelligence
- How to apply emotional intelligence skills in the daily management of a domestic violence/sexual assault organization.
- The Benefits of Mentorship: Empower, Lead, Succeed in Organizations Serving Survivors of Violence
- Mentorship strategies and resources for individuals who work to end domestic and sexual violence and stalking.
- Navigating Fund Development Strategies During Transition
- Strategies to prepare for organizational transitions.
- Overview of Nonprofit Digital Strategy
- Basics information on managing your organization’s digital presence, including sample strategies from two organizations .
- Assembling the Pieces: Tools to Build an Effective Board
- Approaches to building and sustaining a the board of directors, including recruitment, engagement, and communication.
- Measuring Trauma-Informed Practice: Tools for Organizations
- Strategies for implementing trauma-informed principles and practices.
- Secondary Traumatic Stress
- Similarities and differences between burnout, compassion fatigue, secondary and vicarious trauma & self-care strategies, for the work and home environment.
- Mini Strategic Planning Process Toolkit
- This toolkit can be useful for planning and leading discussions to prioritize, reach consensus on direction for the organization, or other decision making needs. It includes a process for developing goals, creating an action plan, and planning resources.
- Ten Strategies to Enhance Employee Resilience and Engagement Within Survivor-Serving Organizations
- This tool provides key practices that leaders of organizations can incorporate to build strength, resilience, and engagement for individual employees and the entire organizational body. These efforts will enhance organizational health and sustainability and thus, improve outcomes for survivors.
- Resources on Health Crisis Response for Domestic & Sexual Violence Programs
- This resource includes tips and resources for survivor serving programs to utilize during the Health Crisis.
- Mission and Core Values Toolkit
- This resource includes activities and resources to help your organization examine your mission and core values and check for their continued relevance and connection to all aspects of the organizational operation.
- Ten Actions for a Successful Leadership Succession & Resources
- List of key strategies and resources for planning a “planned” leadership succession.
- Organizational Transition Toolkit
- This tool can support organization leaders to facilitate successful transitions. It includes a guide and a list of resources.
- Organizational Transition Toolkit – Instructional Video
- This five minute video includes an overview and introduction to the “Organizational Transition Toolkit.
- Organizational Review and Needs Assessment Form
- This form can help organizations assess the infrastructure and identify strengths and gaps, as well as request for support.
- List of Resources on Organizational Capacity Building with Links, Compiled by FUTURES
- Extensive list of resources for organizational capacity building, including leadership, staff development and wellness, internal and external communication, and board strategies,