Reproductive & Sexual Health
Intimate partner violence can directly impact reproductive and sexual health—increasing risk for unintended pregnancies and abortions, miscarriage, and sexually transmitted infections.
With one in four women at risk for abuse in her lifetime, domestic violence is more common than other health complications addressed by reproductive health providers. Yet women are rarely asked about their experience with abuse or given information about the links between violence and their health.
FUTURES is working to transform reproductive health care and improve responses to people facing abuse through its tools and programs. We were among the first organizations to recognize the link between reproductive health and exposure to violence—pioneering research and policy recommendations to address coercion and birth control sabotage.
Working with reproductive health care providers, FUTURES provides tools to screen for and respond to violence as well as training and education on the links between reproductive health and domestic and sexual violence.
Get the Facts: Reproductive and Sexual Health
- Get the Facts: Violence and Reproductive Health
- Get the Facts: Economic Impact of Limiting Access to Reproductive Health for Survivors
- Get the Facts: Adolescent Pregnancy, Reproductive Risk and Exposure to Dating and Family Violence
Provider Training Videos
This training video series supports reproductive and sexual health providers in supporting patients who are experiencing intimate partner violence and reproductive coercion and ensures that all patients seeking sexual health care receive information about where to get support for abuse. Reproductive Health Training Videos.
FUTURES Tools for Providers, Advocates and Patients:
- Addressing Intimate Partner Violence, Reproductive and Sexual Coercion: A Guide for Obstetric, Gynecologic and Reproductive Health Care Settings
- Did You Know Your Relationship Affects Your Health?: A Train the Trainers curriculum on Addressing IPV, Reproductive and Sexual Coercion
- Did You Know Your Relationship Affects Your Health? Reproductive health Safety Card in English and Spanish in Hard Copy and PDF; and Armenian, Korean, Simplified Chinese only in PDF.
- We Are Sacred: American Indian/Alaska Native Reproductive Health: Reproductive Health Safety Card in English
- Did you know your relationship affects your health? Poster
Learn More from FUTURES on Reproductive Health:
- Expanding the Continuum Podcast: Reaching into The Reproductive Justice Toolkit
- Project Connect: Redefining Safety Planning in the Context of Reproductive Coercion: Integrating Assessment for Emergency Contraception Within Domestic Violence Shelter and Advocacy Programs Webinar
- Teen Dating Violence and Reproductive Coercion: Innovative Opportunities for Programs and Partnerships Webinar
- Health E-Bulletin article: Reproductive Coercion as a Violence Against Women’s Issue
ACOG Committee Opinions on Reproductive & Sexual Health and Abuse:
- ACOG Committee Opinion: Committee on Healthcare for Underserved Women: Intimate Partner Violence
- ACOG Committee Opinion: Committee on Healthcare for Underserved Women: Reproductive Coercion
- ACOG Committee Opinion: Committee on Adolescent Healthcare: Long-Acting Reversible Contraception
View the IPV Health Toolkit and IPV Health Partners toolkit for community health centers.