Beyond Halal and Haram: Muslims, Sex, and Relationships Webinar
Title: Beyond Halal and Haram: Muslims, Sex, and Relationships
Date: August 17, 2018 at 10:00-11:30am PST/ 11:00-12:30pm MST/ 12:00-1:30pm CST/ 1:00-2:30pm EST
Webinar Description: There is a dearth of resources for American Muslims related to sex and relationships, and some American Muslims may encounter cultural barriers that prevent them from discussing these issues with family and community members. High levels of discrimination against Muslims and Islamophobia also propel the need for more understanding about how to provide trauma-informed, developmentally appropriate, and culturally responsive violence prevention services to this diverse community. Health centers and community-based settings play a crucial role in reaching high school and college-aged American Muslims with messages about healthy and unhealthy relationships. This webinar will describe an evidence-informed universal education intervention on relationships and its impact on health, which can be used in a variety of settings. This intervention features a new safety card specific to American Muslims, which contains information on healthy relationships and sex, guidance and resources for support, how to help a friend, and cultural and religious factors that play into decision-making. This card was developed as a collaboration between Futures Without Violence, HEART Women & Girls, and Advocates for Youth, with additional input from Muslim youth from diverse communities across the country.
- Name two long-term health consequences of domestic and sexual violence.
- Understand some of the challenges Muslim youth face in regards to sex and relationships.
- Understand the role universal education and response can play in both prevention and intervention.
- Anisa Ali, MA, Program Specialist, Futures Without Violence
- Khadija Khan, Leadership Coordinator, Advocates for Youth—Muslim & Intl. Youth Leadership Councils
- Nadiah Mohajir, MPH, Executive Director, HEART Women & Girls
Questions? Please contact Anisa Ali: email@example.com