Health Cares About Domestic Violence Day Action Kit
Activities You Can Organize
- Share these videos created with IPV survivors with guidance for healthcare clinicians on how to better support patients/caregivers to disclose and receive support around IPV.
- Introduce the subject of domestic violence by sending an e-mail to colleagues about the day.
- Post information on your company, community or school’s website about the day.
- Collaborate with a local domestic violence agency to hold a community awareness forum or DV101 training at the health center. Find your local DV agency HERE.
- Organize a resource table and distribute facts sheets, patient educational materials, and a local resource list with phone numbers of local shelters, hotlines, and community resources.
- Organize a training session or webinar for health care staff on our universal education approach (CUES) at ipvhealth.org.
- Invite an advocate or survivor to speak at a brown bag lunch. Download the NRCDV’s From the Front of the Room: A Survivor’s Guide to Public Speaking.
- Reach out to your community by writing an op. ed., or editorial memo for the local newspaper or your company newsletter.
- Engage your staff, community and local DV agencies in a conversation about screening for IPV in healthcare settings using social media with the hashtags #HCADV, #DVAM and others! View sample social media posts below.
- Hang posters and place safety cards in waiting areas and patient rooms to give patients the message that support is available.
Sample Social Media Posts
Sample Tweets: Tweet it! (dates reflect HCADV Day 2022)
- Don’t forget: Health Cares About #DomesticViolence Day is Oct. 12! Here’s how you can spread the word: http://bit.ly/HCADVaction #HCADV #DVAM
- How can you raise awareness about health impact of #DV? Participate in Health Cares About #DomesticViolence Day! http://bit.ly/HCADVaction
- Oct. 12 is Health Cares About #Domestic Violence Day! RT to help spread the word http://bit.ly/HCADVaction #HCADV #DVAM
- Join @WithoutViolence on Oct. 12 to support Health Cares About #Domestic Violence Day! Learn more http://bit.ly/HCADVDay #HCADV #DVAM
- Oct. 12 is Health Cares About #DomesticViolence Day #HCADV – a day to raise awareness about health impact of #DV http://bit.ly/HCADVDay
- Oct. 12 is Health Cares About #DomesticViolence Day #HCADV: help raise awareness to the health care community #DVAM http://bit.ly/HCADVDay
- Did you know your relationship affects your health? Oct. 12 is Health Cares About #DomesticViolence Day #HCADV http://bit.ly/HCADVDay #DVAM
Sample Facebook Post: Share it on Facebook!
- Join @FuturesWithoutViolence on Oct. 12 to recognize Health Cares About Domestic Violence Day! Help raise awareness about the health impact of domestic violence by taking action. We’ve got some ideas here: http://bit.ly/HCADVaction
- Today is Health Cares About Domestic Violence Day! SHARE this post and help raise awareness about the health impact of domestic violence. Learn more here about this initiative: http://bit.ly/HCADVDay
- October 12 is Health Cares About Domestic Violence Day (#HCADV Day), sponsored by @FuturesWithoutViolence. HCADV Day aims to reach members of the health care community about the critical need for screening for domestic violence, as well as long-term health implications. For more: http://bit.ly/HCADVDay
To view examples of Recent and Past Events go to our HCADV Day Archive
Thank you for your outreach, creativity and for all of your valuable work! If you’ve organized an event or are planning one, we would love to hear from you! Let us know how we can best support your event or outreach on or beyond HCADV Day. For questions about our materials, organizing local events, or to talk through your ideas contact Paige Morrisey, Health Program Assistant at: firstname.lastname@example.org.