NIFDV Radio Show – Releasing the Silos
Title: NIFDV Radio Show – Releasing Silos
Date Recorded: November 29, 2016
The work on engaging with men and fathers in the U.S. is at a crossroads. After 40 years of practice in the fields of battering intervention and responsible fatherhood, many practitioners and researchers acknowledge that the work needs to be expanded both in approach and reach and that it should not be performed in isolation from other fields. Some experts in programming for men and fathers (as well as experts in children’s exposure to violence and early childhood) are starting to recognize that the inter-generational cycles of domestic violence, fatherlessness and poverty will not end until the healing of all family members is addressed. Additionally, we have witnessed trauma-informed approaches grow exponentially when working with mothers and children who have suffered violence in their lives, but it is largely absent when working with men and fathers, especially those who use violence. Our presenters will engage in a dialog about the importance of developing a more robust and holistic approach to working with men and fathers who have used violence that simultaneously utilizes a trauma and social justice lens. Additionally we will explore the interconnection of multiple forms of violence and the necessity of men’s involvement in facilitating change.
By the end of this webinar participants will be better able to:
- Inspire a conversation centralizing the intersection of trauma, racial justice, men’s use of violence and fatherhood and linking these silos to our post separation response to families experiencing domestic violence.
- Develop an understanding of the connections between the multiple forms of violence and the importance of men’s involvement in creating long-term solutions.
- Juan Carlos Areán, Futures Without Violence
- James Encinas, Parent Educator and Child Abuse/Domestic Violence Service Provider
- Audrey Jordan, ADJ Coaching and Consulting
- Jennifer Rose, Consultant.
The recording is now available.