Tools For Improving Maternal Health & Safety in A Multicultural Context
If you would like to reproduce these materials and add the name and logo of your organization, please request permission from the Family Violence Prevention Fund or organization that produced it. Permission to reproduce the material is granted, as long as you provide the source and include proper credit to the organization and author that developed it. If you have any questions or feedback, please e-mail Mónica Arenas. These Materials Were Produced by the Following Three Organizations: Asesoría, Capacitación y Asistencia en Salud, AC (ACASAC), Chiapas, México Grupo de Estudios sobre la Mujer Rosario Castellanos (Casa de la Mujer), Oaxaca, México
Domestic Violence Dynamics
- Powerpoint presentation (Spanish) to help healthcare providers understand what family violence is, created by Casa de la Mujer
- People Understand Each Other by Talking (Hablando se Entiende la Gente) (Spanish), Domestic violence guide for service providers, created by Casa de la Mujer
- People Understand Each Other by Talking (Table of Contents in English)
- Power and Control Wheel with Reproductive Health Adaptations (Spanish) adapted by ACASAC
- Wheel on Equity for a “Life without Violence and Maternal Health” (Spanish) adapted by ACASAC
- Power and Control Wheel (English)
Domestic Violence Program in the Health Care Setting
- Minimal Elements for a Domestic Violence Protocol (English)
- National Consensus Guidelines on Identifying and Responding to Domestic Violence Victimization in a Health Care Setting (English) and Cómo Crear Su Propio Programa (Spanish)
- Desk Calendar (Spanish) for health care providers, includes tips on detecting and assessing abuse. Developed by the Casa de la Mujer.
- Body Map (English)
- Photographs- instructions (English)
- Assessment Tools (English) for hospital’s progress in improving its institutional response to domestic violence.
- Poster 1 (Spanish) Message: ask, listen, inform and refer.
- Poster 2 (Spanish) encourages disclosing domestic violence with a healthcare provider.
- How to Implement a Domestic Violence Program in a Health Care Setting (Spanish)
Violence and Maternal Health: Improving Women’s Response (Violencia y Salud Materna: Mejorando la Respuesta de las Mujeres), a four-part audio drama in Spanish that can be either broadcast over the radio or can be used in a training setting. Produced by ACASAC, with adaptations from an FVPF manual.
- Module 1: Raising Awareness of the Socio-cultural Issues that Make Women Vulnerable to Abuse and Complications During Pregnancy and Maternity. Listen to module 1 (Spanish) or Read the script of module 1 (Spanish)
- Module 2: Improving the Capacity to Identify, Address and Prevent Violence During Pregnancy. Listen to module 2 (Spanish) or Read the script of module 2 (Spanish)
- Module 3: Documenting Violence During Pregnancy. Listen to module 3 (Spanish) or Read the script of module 3 (Spanish)
- Module 4: Safety Plans and Legal Options for Women Suffering Abuse. Listen to module 4 (Spanish) or Read the script of module 4 (Spanish)
- Facilitator’s Manual, Violence and Maternal Health: Improving Women’s Response (Violencia y Salud Materna: Mejorando la Respuesta de las Mujeres)(Spanish), to be used with audio training, developed by ACASAC.
- Drawings: Violence and Maternal Health in Multicultural Context (54 slides) (Spanish)
- Power point presentation (English) on methodology used to create audio training for midwives.
- Improving the Health Care Response to Domestic Violence: A Trainer’s Manual (English)
- Improving the Health Care Response to Domestic Violence: A Trainer’s Manual (Mejorando la Respuesta del Sistema de Salud Hacia la Violencia Familiar) (Spanish) Produced by FVPF, adapted and translated by ACASAC
Public Education Materials
- Safe Pregnancy brochure (English)
- Safe Pregnancy brochure (Spanish)
- Safety plan -Health (English)
- Safety card – Health (English)
- Safety card – Health (Spanish)
- Patient Education Safety Card – Reproductive Health (English)
- Patient Education Safety Card – Reproductive Health (Spanish)
- Poster on domestic Violence (Spanish)
- Poster on Reproductive Health (English)
- Poster for Health care providers (Spanish)
- Grupo de estudios sobre la mujer Rosario Castellanos (Casa de la Mujer), Oaxaca, México Organization working on gender equity, women’s rights, reproductive health issues, policy, public education and training.
- Asesoría, Capacitación y Asistencia en Salud, AC (ACASAC), Chiapas, México Organization working with the Indigenous communities and health care providers on reproductive health issues, policy, public education and engagement and training
- The Intercambios Network A Latin American network of organizations working to develop a healthcare response to family violence. The website includes links to participating organizations as well as materials for download.